Archive for the ‘Minutes’ Category

Minutes 12 May 2014

Wednesday, May 14th, 2014

 

Meeting called to order 7:00p

 

Minutes approved.

 

President’s Welcome

 

  • Reverend Trimble moved and decided to leave the garden.  There was a card signed by gardeners and a garden donation to Christ Church garden on his behalf.
  • Introduction of newest gardener.

 

Treasurer’s Report

 

  • Starting balance $12,342
  • Deposits $790
  • Dues $690
  • Donation $100
  • Expenses $378
  • Balance $12, 764

 

President’s Report

 

  • Garden Council Mtg – objectives for the year
      • Reduce food waste in garden
      • Clean up west end of garden
      • Plot inspections
      • Clarify language in by-laws upon plot turnover
  • Reminder to sign by-laws
  • BBQ date decision at next meeting

 

VP Report

 

  • Water usage report – down a bit from last year
  • Front fence should not be used for storage – please remove items stored along fence
  • Plot inspection results and discussion – reminder to plant plots by May 1.  Garden might enforce this policy this year.

 

Committee Reports

 

  • Bees – hive inspections occurred, hives are doing well.  Discussion of bee stings and bee aggression.
  • City Harvest – is back in action and will be helping reduce food waste, waiting for crops to be ready, harvesting soon.

 

General Business

 

  • Lawn furniture – random “donation” – addressed and remedied
  • Proposal to re-skin and repair shed.   Proposal introduced by Thom.  Roof is solid, doors need repair, shed needs skin.  Electrical would need to be moved.  Re-stain skin.   It is not clear that funding can come from any other source.  Repairs are badly needed or we face the possibility of losing the shed.  It is not cheaper to build a new building versus repair the existing structure.

     

    Proposal estimates:

    50 hours of work at $25/hour

    Materials $1400 (slightly old estimate)

    Possible total:  $2700-3000 (allowing for materials costs)

     

    Motion was made to approve garden funds for this purpose and seconded.  Vote was unanimous.

 

Meeting adjourned at 7:36.

 

Minutes 7 April 2014

Saturday, May 10th, 2014

Southwark Queen Village Community Garden Minutes

April 7, 2014

 

At Weccacoe Recreation Center

1.         Meeting Introduction (John )

2.         Approval of Minutes (John )

3.         Treasurer’s Report (Suzanne )

Deposits  =  $2,080

Expense =  $25 Peco bill

Balance = $12,350

4.         President’s Report

$10 a bale for salt hay.  Goes toward city harvest.

5.         Water Report

March 31 water was turned on.

If you have a barrel that is old and fragile, talk to Tom or John.

On the sidewalk, one tree protector is broken off and the other is badly bent.

Repairman can fix it on site, but not as good a job. Or he can take to the shop for better job.

On site, $250… $450 off site.

6.         City Harvest (Ed)

Season started… 80 gardens in the city have been active with City Harvest.

Salt Hay goes to city harvest.

Green thumb is tending to the courtyard area with city view apts.

7.         Bees (Carolyn )

4 new hives…. Each box has 15,000 bees and a queen from Georgia.

Got them in boxes, Queen had her own box so others could get used to her smell.

Queen comes out of box tomorrow. Hopefully go right to her hive to start making babies.

6 hives total….. 2 hives have lots of babies.

We lost 2 hives during the winter. Bees get in cluster to keep warm during winter… when hives was opened, the cluster was on 1 side, not in middle where honey is. Bees tried to protect queen and didn’t get to honey. So they died…. Hopefully we’re off to a good start with new hives. Can’t open hives unless it’s 60 degrees…. If you’d like to learn bee keeping, let Carolyn know…..

8.         Special Topics

The  Waiting List.

There are names that go back to 2009 on the list….

There are 10 to 20 names still in the area and interested in a plot.

Reengineering the list? First in, first out process now… looking for possible changes to wait list…. Give us general ideas about changing the list process. Comment: anyone want to lead the charge? Lottery? No open plot in 2 years. Most want to keep the list and go down the list when there is a plot available.

Comment: lack of turnover is a good thing. Why fix it if it’s working?

Vote taken to keep current system in place was unanimous.

 

9.         Gardener’s Using Patio for Gatherings

Recently the topic has been raised of gardener’s use of the garden, particularly the patio area, for personal gatherings. There has been interest for use this summer.

Request from Pam to have gathering of friends in late May… fish boil for her friends.

Pam: Will leave it as good as we found it. Will take garbage out on Thursday. Will ask for donations to garden as a fundraiser……  will be 50 to 75 people max.

Comment: Will there be a porto john? Compost toilet can’t hold that many people in short period. Liability? Event insurance? Does our parent organization cover this? No insurance ever during our own events…..

Question is much bigger that just this 1 event. How many events a year should we hold?

There is too much controversy…. May 25 is Pam’s event….. Jared’s event was successful and raised us money…

No political event in garden…. Not a fundraiser, says Pam.

Mario Lanza Park is another alternate solution with a permit.

We need to set up procedures if we have personal events in garden.

Comment: Garden is about gardening….. not a recreational place, but a garden to enjoy.

Comment: We all respect the space, why can’t we do a case by case event?

Pam: Up to garden members to decide.

Vote: executive committee should figure out the insurance issue.

Party needs to have a potty and a donation to the garden…..

Majority voted YES to party. 4 voted NO.

 

10.       Community Gardens Day (Proposal letter below)

The  Neighborhood Gardens Trust (NGT) whose mission is to acquire and preserve community gardens and shared open space in order to enhance the quality of life in Philadelphia neighborhoods, would like to invite you and your garden to participate in celebrating COMMUNITY GARDENS DAY on June 21,2014.

Gardens bring a multitude of benefits to a community including: nutritious food, healthier lifestyles, exercise and connections to your fellow neighbors.  We want to rejoice and celebrate that community gardens and neighborhood pocket parks are essential to the fabric of any city and especially OUR city, Philadelphia.

Please join us on June 21st as we welcome residents of the City to explore and appreciate all your efforts, ideas and hard work by sharing your garden with others that day.

The plans for the event are that participating gardens would be open to the public from 10AM to 3PM with at least one gardener present. Much like POST (Philadelphia Open Studio Tours) where artists welcome the public into their studios throughout the day, we will be reaching out to city residents and offering them the opportunity to visit their local garden, where a range of activities could be happening. These activities could include:

  • Something you already do, such as weeding or a garden work day
  • Tours through the garden
  • A special activity you could use extra hands with (such as grouting a mural/mosaic)
  • Working a City Harvest plot with volunteers
  • A Demonstration/workshop (such as planting, passive composting, or pruning)
  • Host a Make Music Philly Day artist (http://www.makemusicphilly.org/participate/venues/)
  • An arts & crafts activity for kids
  • Have resident “experts” be available for Q&A

·         Host a BBQ or just a hang-out for neighbors

 

If you are interested in participating on June 21st 10am to 3pm and will be hosting an activity, please register your garden at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JSDMHXR. Registration is open until FRIDAY, May 2nd, so register soon. We are excited to celebrate the importance of your garden to your city, your neighborhood, and you! Invite your friends, neighbors, and the public to learn more about gardening or your community garden,

Thank you for your participation and we will be in touch.

Best,

Eileen Gallagher

Neighborhood Gardens Trust

http://phsonline.org/greening/neighborhood-gardens-association

 

11.       Event Proposal from Queen Village Clean and Green Committee

Date: Thursday, June 12 7pm – 10pm

Proposal: The Queen Village Clean and Green (C&G) committee would like to host its annual community event at the Queen Village Community Garden. In the past, the committee has hosted an informational fair at the Weccacoe Park each June during the day. This year, the committee has decided that an event at the community garden hosted in the evening would best serve the mission of the committee to bring sustainability to all neighbors in Queen Village through creating an inviting, social evening in a beautiful space that represents an element of sustainability in the neighborhood. We hope neighbors will enjoy the evening, become familiar with the committee and want to join or help the committee in the future.

Guests:

We would like to invite individuals who might be able to help complete sustainability-related projects in the neighborhood in the future, i.e:

  • Councilman Squilla
  • Water Commissioner Howard Neukrug
  • Mayor’s Office of Sustainability Director Katherine Gajewski
  • PHS Director of Sustainable Communities Glen Abrams

We would also like to invite neighbors to mingle and discuss topics related to sustainability and the neighborhood. We propose charging a ticket fee for the event to manage the quantity of people and to give the event credibility. The guest limit would be 100 people, but we can negotiate that with the garden.  We propose limiting access to garden plot areas if there are concerns among gardeners.  Food and drink would be from local purveyors, e.g. Yards Brewery, Kennett Restaurant, etc.

75 tickets will be sold, with 15 to 20 invited guests.

 

12.       Rev. Trimble moved to 15th street and gave up his plot….

Adjourned at 8:01pm. Next Meeting Monday May 12 at 7pm in the garden.

Minutes, 10 March 2014 (at Settlement)

Monday, March 17th, 2014

6:30 to 7:
Signing of bylaws, paying dues, signing up for hot/cold watering weeks…..
Dues for 2014 are $50 per plot.

7pm:
Meeting introduction by Cindi.
Cindi resigns as president. John Ventre will be taking over Cindi’s duties as Chair.
Cindi’s comments include: “Thank you for accepting new dues amount.”
“Thank you to past officers from 2012-2013” ….

Introduction of new slate of officers:
John V entre (Chair)
Thom Hardenberg (Vice-Chair)
Suzanne Schectner (Treasurer)
Janice Chorba (Communications Secretary)
Lisa Zollinger (Recording Secretary)

Meeting turns over to John V. whose comments include: “Keep gardening as our focus.”

Treasury report, 2013 summary
$7325 total revenue
$3200 in expenses
March balance is $7290 (enough to cover water bill and other expenses)

NGA is now NGT (Neighborhood Garden Trust)
• They will be rolling out a new web page that will have all sorts of information –
• There will be a map with links to garden pages
• There will be a page for “How to support NGT”
• Protect and Preserve page for those interested on starting a garden (process and application)
• News and events
• Resources (links, message board and press kits)
They are interested in using a garden for the rollout of the webpage with gardeners attending. Mid-day and Mid-week. Some items and activities they are looking at for this and coming years…

• Participation at the PHS fall fest
• Bike tour with gardens as stops for bikers
• A Citywide Community Garden Day – Timing is still up in the air. It would be a day for the gardens and each garden would decide how to recognize the day.

Looking to draft a new NGT Garden Agreement. It sounded like it would apply to new gardens but established gardens may need to sign (organic, soil monitoring, etc.)

Bees and other news:
Pruning is done. Not much taken off of cherry trees because we didn’t want to lose a season of cherries.
Cats are fine. They are fat. Total beggars. Must go on diet this summer.
The bee news is not great. We had 4 hives going into winter. We lost 2 over winter. We don’t know why. Carolyn opened top of hive in Jan. to feed it and it was dead. We still have 2 strong hives. We ordered 2 bee packages which includes 1500 bees and a queen. Cost is $100 per package. Unfortunately, the first year of a hive usually doesn’t produce honey….
Please put any recycled honey jars in Barbara’s plot number #26 or in the shed.
The water will be turned on the last Monday in March (the 31st)

City Harvest:
We had 1300 lbs of produce from the garden last year.
If you’ d like to join and participate in City Harvest, meet in the garden on Monday mornings at 9am to approx. 11am.

No plots were turned over this year. All the same members. There are currently 48 people on the waiting list. There was discussion on how to redo the waiting list. It was suggested that interested people should reapply every year to weed out people who move, lose interest, etc.

Water report:
Water will be turned on Monday March 31.
In 2013 the water was turned off on Nov.1. That’s when Thom went over the final billing to reconcile our usage with the bill. On Feb 12, 2014 we received a letter from the water dept. stating a new process of billing for water usage. In the past year, we received bills each month for $200 and some dollars…. We now have a $2,300 outstanding water bill balance. We need a new program of water usage, storm runoff, and how to keep track of our usage…. We’re still not sure what’s going on. Tom will continue to read water meter each month and keep accurate data. Thom will go to PHS and NGT meetings to keep communication open…. So this summer, think conservation!!

This SATURDAY’S CLEANUP
This is not a regular garden clean-up, but a very specific one involving pruning the fig tree and a general “dusting off” of the garden!! The ground is still frozen. While participation isn’t mandatory, any time you put in will go toward your total clean-up hours. And, if you can, please bring along your (small) electric saws to help speed things along.
Thank You and Look forward to seeing you between 10 & noon on Saturday!

Compost:
Karyl gave us some insight into the concerns present when using commercial compost, which is going to contain biosolids. She has passed on this link http://www.nationofchange.org/keeping-sludge-away-your-seedlings-harder-you-think-1393172339 which addresses the issue plainly:
“Out of the thousands of toxic chemicals that are found in that sludge, they strictly regulate exactly 10 heavy metals and two pathogens. And it’s nice that they regulate lead, mercury, and Salmonella. But you’re still left with everything else: flame retardants, nanoparticles, pharmaceuticals, endocrine disruptors like triclosan, cancer-causing dioxins, and a long list of other nasties you don’t want in your garden. Or in your body.” Karyl recommends visiting the Organic Materials Review Institute at https://www.omri.org/ for a listing of safe products for use in your garden. Thanks Karyl!
Next meeting will be April 7 (due to Passover and Easter the following weeks.) Cleanup will be the 12th.

Meeting adjourned at 7:56pm.

Minutes: 11 November 2013 (7 pm at Settlement)

Saturday, November 30th, 2013

Minutes approved
Treasurer’s report

See Deirdre’s report (from email)
$8420 starting balance
$3660 from this year’s honey
$8964 ending balance

3 things helped this year: activity fund transfer, bee income, BBQ donations

Trees – Carolyn
Committee given $1500 to take care of the trees. Carolyn got a 3rd estimate. Work would cover orchard, crabapple trees, euonymous, Sephora, treatment of bagworms on cypress. Requesting $105 additional to cover total of the work cost. Condo association has been asked to split the cost of the trimming along the fence – waiting to hear. Motion was made, seconded and passes unanimously to authorize Carolyn to spend a total of $1605 on tree care for this year as stipulated above.

Budget discussion
Reviewed maintenance request from Thom (rehab garden shed $2500 and other maintenance projects – please include from Thom’s email). Reviewed expenses planned between meeting and March 2014 (see and include from Deirdre’s email).

Discussion focused on water costs, maintenance, etc.

Motion was made and seconded to add projected water bill of $1200 into basic costs and increase dues to cover basic costs as stipulated in the by laws. Raising costs by $1200 raises dues for each plot by another $20, bringing dues to $50 per plot. Motion stipulated that if there is a surplus of funds as a result of a lower than anticipated water bill, the membership will determine what to do with the surplus. 23 plots were present and voted unanimously to support the motion.

Holiday Party is Dec. 18 6-9, serving food will start at 630.

City Harvest collected another 135# of food for a total of 1055 this year.

A water usage report was provided and work continues on water issues.

Meeting adjourned.

Minutes: 14 October 2013

Monday, October 21st, 2013

Southwark Queen Village Community Garden Minutes
14 October 2013
At Settlement School
September Minutes Approved

Treasury Report
• General Fund – $8420
• Emergency – $2000
• Activity Grant – $1600
• Monthly Highlights: Net honey profit was ~$2482, Net BBQ profit was ~$1521
• Comments: The activities grant is likely able to be moved into the general fund. Receipts that the garden currently has in their possession can likely qualify for the grant allowing us to withdrawal from the Activities Grant Fund and deposit to the General Fund retroactively.
• Comments: Jean sent details to Deidre.
• Comments: Budgeting has started for 2014 – BE PREPARED FOR A VOTE AT NOV MEETING

Tree Porposal
• Detailed proposals were presented to care for the orchard and other trees in the garden by Carolyn Scott. There was a request to consider funding the work. The garden members moved to authorized a cap dollar value for the work and allow a sub committee (led by Carolyn) determine the best combination of efforts for the value of the funds. $1500 was the cap authorized in the member vote.

Presidents Report
• An offer to arrange Salt Hay was made to the garden for winter cover. There were 9 interested. John to have Cyndi follow up with arranging formally the order.
• A request for a coordinator of the Holiday Party – Leslie Brown volunteered. It was mentioned that Monday’s are best at our usual Swedes location.
• If you have attendance questions see John Ventri – be reminded of minimum attendance requirements at the garden. Five Clean Ups (or 10 total hours) and attendance at Five Meetings. If you are unable to attend a Clean Up, please seek out duties on the back of the shed door and sign off to account for your date and hours of effort so that you can get credit against Clean Up hours.
• Nomination for Officers – Jed will reach out to candidates before 1/1/2014.
• BikeShare is investigating installation of a bike rack system in front of the garden. More information will be provided if our site is down selected for final approval to determine if the garden will be impacted negatively.
• Please note the great article in the QV Crier from Tom H on the Honey House.

Winter Trash
• Effective after the watering season, there will be a separate winter trash committee formed to ensure trash is taken to the curb on Thursdays. Ed, Janice, Tom H, and Ted immediately volunteered to join the temporary sub committee. THANK YOU!!

Committee Reports
• City Harvest

o Extra Produce, please place flags near plant for harvest committee to pick on Mondays.
o YTD total is 1066# vs 2012 1185#
o There will be construction supplies arriving to repair the raised bed structure.
o The hoop house is being repaired for winter installation and growing.

• Water

o Good News – YTD 38000 gallons versus last year 79000 gallons – due to rain fall this year.
o The garden received a letter on 9/18 with a ~$3300 balance since spring of 2012. It is believed that this is negotiable and more work will be done before final terms are reached on the outstanding run off and usage charge issues.

• Bees

o Three strong hives and one weak hive remain for over winter.
o 2014 will begin with three new hive purchases for $300 but those new hives will not produce honey in the first year. Therefore 2014 honey revenue is projected to be much lower than 2013.
o Honey Sales – Barbara Seiple has just a few jars left and then we’re DONE.

• BBQ – Not much to say except THANKS to Brian and all the helpers. It was a superb event.
• Children’s Garden – no activity

Minutes: 9 September 2013 (at the Garden Patio)

Wednesday, September 11th, 2013

Attendance
• Please be reminded of minimum attendance requirements at the garden. Five Clean Ups (or 10 total hours) and attendance at Five Meetings. If you are unable to attend a Clean Up, please seek out duties on the back of the shed door and sign off to account for your date and hours of effort so that you can get credit against Clean Up hours.
• If you have questions about your Attendance status, contact John V for your counts.

Clean Up
• Saturday 9/14/13 at 8am. Cindy will manage from 8am to 10am and Kathy D from 10am to noon/completion.
• This Clean Up is important for BBQ prep.
• Chips are here for spreading. If you can help deplete the pile before the Clean Up that would be helpful. Please spread in aisles first. If there are chips remaining, please spread some in Children’s garden.
• Iris will need to be split and transplanted. This will begin on Saturday with direction from community garden leaders. See coordinators of clean up for details. This duty will be ongoing for a few weeks after clean up to complete.

Resignations
• If you plan on leaving the garden after the season, please contact John V
• If you would like to change plots between seasons, please contact John V

Officer Nominations
• If you wish to volunteer or nominate officer positions, please contact Jed Campbell.

Presidents Report
• SWQVCG is featured in Milestone Magazine and Green Scene (specifically Don Shump). Check it out.
• TEAM work is key for the garden to be successful. Please do your part in volunteering for efforts when needed to keep the burden distributed across all members.

BBQ
• Band and Beer are secured
• Tickets – 170 total – 47 sold, 123 remain.
o on sale each evening at 6pm in the garden, and at clean up on Saturday
• Sign Ups need to be completed. Special needs include:
o Friday Night Prior – Pottie Delivery – Pauline Cadeaux has volunteered at the meeting.
o Small Tables and folding chairs are needed
o Meat and Produce Pick Up needs to be addressed during the week before the BBQ
o TJ, Target, and ShopRite have all provided Gift Cards to help with expenses.
o There will be an Artist at the Garden Entrance showing / selling her work. Her name is Heidi Barr, a portion of the proceeds supports community urban gardening.
• Food
o Vegetable donations are welcome, please be sure they get to Brian at Kennett
o Help with prep is really needed the week prior to the BBQ, contact Brian at Kennett for instructions.
• Fire and BBQ Tenders
o Ppl are needed for building the fire and tending both the flame and the food on the day of the BBQ
• RAINDATE – Sunday (the day after the scheduled event)

Committee Reports
• City Harvest
o Extra Produce, please place flags near plant for harvest committee to pick on Mondays.
o 968 lbs YTD versus 1091 lbs last year at this time. Although the pace is improving from August weigh in.

• Water
o Good News – YTD 4100 gallons versus last year 11000 gallons – due to rain fall this year.
o Bad News – Water Bureau is suing the garden for not paying the Run Off fees. This is an ongoing issue that has not been addressed well by the Water Bureau. We believe this threat for a suit may allow us the venue to finally get the Run Off fees addressed. The garden does have the funds set aside in case we will owe the back Run Off fees, but this will be determined by the outcome of the suit (or settlement). Assistance from PHS and NGA will be employed for legal support if needed.

• Bees
o Three strong hives remain for over winter
o Three hives lost due to mites and other treatments that were not successful.
o 2014 will begin with three new hive purchases for $300 but those new hives will not produce honey in the first year. Therefore 2014 honey revenue is projected to be much lower than 2013.
o Bee work – 9/10 at 9am
o Bee work – 9/15 mid morning
o Honey Sales – Lots of small jars left, please contact Barbara Seiple

• Children’s Garden
o Raised bed in Children’s Garden will be installed by using pre-fab construction
o Bee observation hive will be put in place

MInutes: 12 August 2013

Friday, August 16th, 2013

Minutes approved
BIG thank you to Kathy for taking minutes!!
President’s report
• John Kisker volunteered to take minutes at next meeting if Pam is not there
• BBQ is Sept 28- volunteer signup sheets will be available at the cleanup. Brian is chef, letters for donations were sent, beer, band, and porta potty arranged. Need ticket seller. Lisa Zollinger volunteered so tickets would be available for Saturday cleanup.
• Brief update on PHS judging, no results yet. Big THANK YOU to gardeners who met the judges.
Treasurer’s Report – details will come in an addendum. Got $500 from Philly Tap Finders event (Thanks, Jared!), still working on water bill, electric bills will come directly to Treasurer now, we do get a credit for solar panels.
VP report
• Clean up this Saturday, task list in shed so can pick up hours/tasks as needed
• Expect chip delivery in September
• Inspect was a week ago
• John and Barbara have attendance lists available for review.
• John suggested people start thinking about being officers next year.
Committee Reports
City Harvest (Ed) – 162 lbs this month, 634 lbs for the year, reminded members to use pink flags to donate produce, updated garden on summer camp program and support
Water (Thom) – discussed current barrel moving/replacement, no real update on water bills – still in process. Reminder to not use empty barrel for trash and to please not fill barrel that will be moving.
Bees (Carolyn) – bee season is coming to a close, bees are being treated for mites, 2 extractions for 247lbs of honey – the most ever! Reminder to plant bee friendly plants and to recycle honey containers.
Honey sales (Barbara S.) – 8oz = $7, 12 oz = $12
Children’s Garden (Barbara M.) – planning for plants is completed, infrastructure plans are being finalized, may include an observation hive
There were no questions.
Meeting adjourned.

Minutes: 11 June 2013

Friday, June 14th, 2013

John Ventre presided in Cyndi Line’s absence.

Approval of May Minutes – May minutes approved

Treasurer’s Report (John in Deirdre’s absence)
• The general account started at $3434 and ended at $3609. June expenses were for dunks, PECO and planters, totaling $83. Dues of $175 were received. Four plots have still not paid dues. Donations of $70 were received and $50 for a wheelbarrow. The activity account has $2000. $2000 is set aside for the unresolved water bill and $2000 is in the rainy day fund.

Linda Witt gave a tutorial on deadheading and on Libbyfest, which will be on June 21 (Friday) from 6 – 9 PM. It is potluck byo. Linda needs setup and cleanup volunteers. Linda also reported that timers have been added to the soaker hoses, for the use of the community garden volunteers.

President’s Report (John in Cyndi’s absence)
• Elizabeth Coleman is moving to DC and a replacement recording secretary is needed.
• The Department of Health has offered to meet about lyme disease and west nile virus. The officers will explore if they can give a brief presentation at a regularly scheduled meeting.

Vice-President’s Report (John)
• Cleanup is Saturday 9 – 12. Lisa Zollinger will coordinate.
• Inspection of plots will be done in the next week of so. Weeds and overgrowth will be the focus.

Committee Reports
City Harvest (Ed Mitinger):
340 pounds so far this year compared to 400 in 2012. Ed reminded gardeners about the pink flags for identifying crop donations.

Bees (Carolyn Scott):
One of the hives swarmed last week. The beekeepers harvested 130 pounds of honey last week and will harvest again in July. Barbara Seiple handles the jarring and sale of the honey. The price for small jars will be $7, and for large, $13.

Compost and Bugs Committee (Karyl Weber):
Start looking for bug eggs. Orange eggs on the underside of eggplant leaves are of the Colorado potato beetle. Harlequin bugs have started to show up. Squash borer eggs may not be in a bunch. They are brownish and make a hole near the base of a vine. If you catch it early, you may be able to slit the vine and extract the bug. If you have wood lice, you might be able to wrap a small piece of aluminum foil around the stem of your plants to prevent the lice from climbing
If you can help, the compost needs to be sifted.

Kids Lab (Frank): The plan and layout of the Kids Lab is posted online and the committee is progressing to select appropriate plants.

Water (Thom Hardenbaugh): Water use in May was about equal to May 2012.

Special Event (Jared Littman): His beer tasting night will be Sunday, July 23 from 4 – 7 PM. He is reserving 10 tickets for garden members at $15 per ticket.

BBQ (John): After discussion, the favored date is Saturday, September 28.

Submitted by Pauline Candaux.

Minutes: 13 May 2013 (in the Garden)

Wednesday, June 5th, 2013

Meeting Intro and approval of April Minutes – Cyndi

Treasurer’s Report – please see full report posted on the website. The PECO credit from 2012 has been exhausted. Four plots still owe dues. In June we will start paying for water usage but not the storm water run off.

President’s Report – There is a sustainability fair for Queen Village on June 1st. If anyone is interested see Cyndi.

Fundraising ideas: Christmas tree chipping in late December / early January. Bartlett can do it. Our job is to simply collect money and smile. We need to find out if Bartlett charges a fee.

Jared’s beer tasting on June 23 in the evening in the garden. 100 people are expected and 10 spots are reserved for gardeners. If anyone is interested in attending please see Jared Littman.

A discussion was held regarding proposed by-laws changes. The proposed changes were prepared by Garden Council and posted on the website prior to the general meeting. The primary substantive change is that each plot will now have one (1) vote which may be voted by either gardener where a plot has more than one (1) gardener.

The term “secession” will be changed to “succession”.

Concerns were expressed about folks circumventing the waiting list by becoming a gardener (formerly referred to as an assistant) and then taking over the plot if the other gardener (formerly the primary gardener) left the garden. It was decided that questions about succession will be handled by Garden Council. There was a strong desire not to “legislate” every possible scenario and leave discretion with Garden Council.

Thirty one (31) plots must be represented at a general meeting to form a quorum to vote on By-Laws changes.

The following language shall be added to the By-Laws regarding giving notice when leaving the garden: “If a gardener decides to leave the garden and give up his/her plot, the gardener shall give notice to Garden Council within four (4) weeks, or as soon as reasonably possible, after the gardener knows he/she will be leaving the garden.”

Motion was made and seconded to adopt the proposed changes to the By-Laws. Forty four (44) voting members were present. Forty one (41) voted in favor of the proposed changes, one (1) voted in opposition and one (1) abstained. The proposed changes were adopted.

Vice President’s Report – Clean up on Saturday from 8 am to noon. A punch list should be in the shed tomorrow. First inspection will be this Wednesday. Anne S, Linda W. and myself will head it up. Plots should be planted or ready for planting. Mulching will be noted for water conservation and weeds, as always will be noted. Hopefully a report on the inspection will be out to row captain by the end of the weekend.

Committee & Misc Reports –
Water Report – Thom – 618 cubic feet of water have been used which equals 4,624 gallons (for April). This is less than half of what was used during April in 2012. We are now getting monthly bills from the water department and will begin paying the monthly usage and service fee. The storm water runoff is still being disputed.

City Harvest – Ed – 39 lbs were harvested this morning. Five gardeners worked at Bartrams Gardens with other City Harvest volunteers.

Bees – Carolyn – We’re half way through the nectar season. Bees are doing well.

Woodpile – Carolyn – Several wooden boards with nails protruding from them were left in the woodpile. This is dangerous and not what the woodpile is for. The nails should be hammered in so not protruding and the boards left for the trash. The woodpile is also NOT for: lumber, bamboo and sunflower stalks.

Kid’s Lab – Don – Frank and Barbara donated a table and plants. Thom to add an arbor and raised beds.

Next meeting will be June 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm in the Garden.

Minutes: 8 April 2013 (in the Garden)

Wednesday, April 10th, 2013

1. Introduction and approval of March minutes – John V.

2. President’s Report – presented by John V.
Bylaws changes will be proposed by Garden Council at an April 16th meeting and presented to the membership during the May meeting. A quorum will be needed at the May meeting. Please attend!

3. Vice President’s Report – John V.
March clean-up was well attended and a resounding success. Thank you everyone!

April clean-up is 4/13 from 8 until 12. Come for 2 hours during that window to get credit. More wood chips are being delivered this Wednesday evening so if you need hours come spread them around.

30th anniversary t-shirts are available for $10. They are in the shed and are organized by size. Leave money in an envelope in the cigar box on the bench inside the shed.

Plot inspections will be mid-May. Plots must be cleaned up, planted, mulched and looking cared for.

The weekly watering duty schedule is posted on the website on the calendar. Place your cursor on “Watering Week” on the Monday of each week to see a pop-up list of who is on duty. Questions, see Anne S. A list will also be posted in the shed for quick reference.

Rose clippings should NOT be composted or put in the chipping pile. They must be trimmed down and disposed of in double paper bags (as you would a broken glass).

4. Treasurer’s Report – Deirdre
15 plots still owe dues. Please submit dues directly to Deirdre or leave them in an envelope with your name and plot number in the cigar box in the shed and then call Deirdre and let her know you’ve done so.

Current balance is $3,800. $500 was given to Thom for the rain barrels. Water bills remain unpaid on advice of PHS.

5. Fundraising – Chris Jefferson
For those who want to make tax deductible gifts to the garden it can be done in four simple steps: 1) write a check payable to “Neighborhood Garden Assoc.” and in the memo line, write “SWQV Community Garden”; 2) send the check to the Horticultural Society; 3) NGA will send an acknowledgement letter to the donor with tax info; and 4) NGA will remit the contribution to the Garden.

Consider leaving a gift to the Garden in your will.

Whole Foods Markets offers weekly 5% days (tuesdays) where a local organization receives 5% of the daily sales proceeds. Chris to see if the Garden can get on the list of beneficiaries.

6. City Harvest – Ed. M.
The Garden has participated with City Harvest since 2005. City Harvest operates in 60 gardens city wide. The weekly harvest takes place at 9am on Mondays and volunteers are welcome. All produce goes to River View just across Christian Street. Over the past 5 years the Garden has donated over 8,000 lbs of produce to River View. This year harvesting started last week and 75 lbs has been harvested to date in 2013.

City Harvest is helping out with obtaining salt hay and Ed and Janice are organizing the effort. If anyone wants salt hay to mulch their plot please bring cash to the clean up on Saturday and give it to Janice. Bales are $12 a piece and will be delivered in 2 weeks to the plots.

7. Bees – Carolyn
The hives were inspected last week and are approximately 2 to 3 weeks behind where they were last year. One hive died over the winter, and one is pretty weak and won’t produce honey this year. We have four healthy hives and a new hive was ordered to replace the hive that died. The new hive cost $100.

The bees are not in a good mood right now so it’s best to stay off the patio if possible and don’t go near the hives.

The Garden doesn’t have Epi Pens because it doesn’t have a place to keep them at the necessary temperature. If you have an allergy to bees, please be sure to bring an Epi Pen with you and let others know.

8. Kids Lab – Don S.
The perimeter of the Lab has been finalized and plants in the space will be kept and used to designate the boundaries between the Kids Lab and the Shade Garden. The maximum number of children allowed in the Lab at any time won’t exceed 10-12. There will also be general educational information available for everyone in the Lab. Initial plans for events will be out in June.

9. Composting Toilet – Anne
Maintenance of the toilet will be added to the Saturday cleanups. Additional people are needed to help with the upkeep. It has been getting a surprising amount of use over the winter and will need to be emptied every 4 to 6 weeks.

Practical tips: 1) make sure to fully cover your “contributions” with the mulch that’s in the bin next to the toilet. 2) if the “contribution” pile appears tall, use the small purple hoe that’s in the toilet shed to push the pile back a bit. Sometimes it appears the receptacle is full but it’s just the pile that needs to be spread out.

10. Jared Littman’s Beer Sharing Fundraiser – Jared L.
Jared hosts a monthly beer sharing event at various restaurants in the city that draw 70+ people who pay $15 for the event. Jared proposes hosting one in the Garden as a fundraiser. The number of attendees will be determined after consulting with the BBQ organizers for their thoughts and experience but will probably be around 100. The event would take place on a weekend evening and last approximately 3 hours. Jared will handle the recycling and will investigate the possible need for a portapotty. The membership voted to approve this event.

11. Other Business
Carolyn raised concerns about children running in the garden and cutting through plots. The membership expressed various points of view and it was agreed that all children must abide by the rules of conduct set out in the by-laws (i.e. may walk/run on main pathways but may not cut through plots on “in plot” paths). Concerns with children’s behavior should politely and appropriately brought to the parent’s attention. We are a community garden and need to be able to communicate politely with each other about these concerns.

Carolyn requested that trash be left by the west gate and not by the trash cans. It’s too much to drag out on Thursdays.

Thom announced that the water has been turned on and reminded everyone that ONLY the water committee (those designated each week to fill barrels) shall turn on the water to fill the barrels.