Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category

Minutes 13 June 2016 (7 pm in the Garden)

Friday, July 8th, 2016

Southwark/Queen Village Community Garden Minutes

1.  Welcome and Chair’s Report – Shanna.

  • East Gate:  Thank you to John V and Thom for fixing the east gate after it was vandalized last week. The lock will be replaced as several members reported it is not unlocking.
  • Minutes: Approved for the months of Nov, March, April, and May.
  • Community Gardens Day:  June 18, 10 am – 3 pm.  Need volunteers to give visitors tours.
  • Monthly CleanUp:  June 18, starting at 10 am.
  • Stewardship of garden: This is everyone’s responsibility. Please clean up projects that you start in communal areas.  Please don’t obstruct areas that are for the use and pleasure of all gardeners.
  • Garden map: Copies of updated map are in plastic sleeve tacked onto the back of shed door.

 

2.  Arbor Report – Mark.

Received three bids for constructing a new cedar arbor.  Executive Committee selected the one that was the best value.  Mark will forward the bid to NGT as NGT is paying for the construction.  Work will take place in early fall.  Grape vines will be cut down to about 4 feet, allowing them to grow over the new arbor, and a flowering vine will be added.

 

3.  Treasurer’s Report – Ed.

Since last meeting, payments went to: items for pollinator garden, lumber for honey house trim, PECO bill, and backflow preventers.  Deposits were from new member dues and Renegade Theater Company’s donation.  Our bank balance includes our rainy day fund and funds for budgeted items and planned new purchases such as green roof plants to replace those that have died.

 

4.  City Harvest Report – Ed.

This is City Harvest’s 12th year in Garden.  PHS supplies plants and City Harvest volunteers (members of our garden) plant and harvest the crops.  Work is done Monday mornings.  Harvests are donated to neighbors at Riverview Courtyard Apartments through the social service agency on 1st floor of high-rise.  Senior citizens at Riverview are numerically the highest users of the produce and are very appreciative.  So far this year, 240 lbs. of produce was donated.

Please consider donating produce that you don’t use from your plot.  Do you have too much lettuce, radishes, tomatoes, etc? Place donations in the Gazebo on Sunday night or Monday morning before 11:00 am, when City Harvest will deliver it to Riverview.  If you want City Harvest to harvest your crop, put a pink flag next to plants you want harvested.  Your plant will be left in soil to continue producing. Pink flags are located at the corner of one of the City Harvest beds.

 

5.  BBQ – Shanna.

Date is Sept 17; rain date Sept 18.  Brian is able to help again this year.  Anyone else wanting to help organize BBQ, contact Shanna.  At next month’s meeting, we’ll circulate the task list and donation list. Linda has volunteered to help with this again.

 

6.  Compost Guidelines – Mark, Lisa R, Lisa M, & Pauline.

  • No sticks, stones, rose branches.
  • No rotting food; no citrus produce.
  • No egg shells unless they’ve been thoroughly washed and crushed.
  • No long pieces of plant matter. Cut-up plant matter to about the size of your hand.

7.  Bee report – Carolyn.

Hives were inspected Saturday, June 11, and they’re doing well.  Bees are bringing in nectar and honey.  A box was added to each hive.

We now have three hives. Bee committee has given the hives names:  hives in front of mural wall are North and South.  Hive next to honey house is Northwest.

 

8. Gardener Comments/Concerns.

  • Danette, plot 35:  This plot is next to a large tree that loses branches when it’s windy. If you see fallen branches on the plot, please drag them away. Or, let Danette know and she’ll come and move them so the plants aren’t crushed.
  • Dave, plot 46 & Ted, plot 47:  Water barrels next to their plots aren’t being filled. Shanna will ask John V, the watering coordinator, to remind gardeners on water duty to fill those barrels in row 5.
  • Marcy: If you see any water barrels where dunk is outside the water and/or the screen is off barrel, please put dunk in the water and cover barrel with the screen.

Meeting adjourned at 7:30 PM.

 

Minutes by Isabelle Buonocore, Recording Secretary

Agenda: 11 May 2016 (7 pm in the garden, weather permitting)

Friday, May 20th, 2016

1. Welcome & Chair’s Report – Shanna

 

Welcome New Gardeners

Plot switches

Gardener status – confirm status at May 14th Clean-up

Inspections – every Clean-up, starting May 14th

2016 Gardening and Greening Contest

Community Gardens Day—June 18, 2016

Any volunteers to be present and give tours

Social media and website updates

 

2. Treasurer’s report – Ed

 

3. Arbor and concrete repair update – Mark

 

4. BBQ—40th anniversary of the Garden – Shanna

 

August date?

Volunteers

5. Other reports & announcements (if time permits)

 

Minutes: 10 May 2016 (7 pm in the garden)

Friday, May 20th, 2016

1. Welcome and Chair’s Report – Shanna.

• Theater group performed in the garden Sunday night and Monday night.

• On meeting sign-in sheet is a new column with member status. Circle your status if it’s correct. If incorrect, cross out and write correct status.

• Plot inspection takes place during clean up Saturday, May 14.

• New gardeners at plot 63 are Barbara Porter and Sebastien Bacle.

• New gardeners at plot 8 are Uri Hershberg and Shira Ninio.

• Left the garden – Cheryl Shugars, plot 8

• Moved to plot 8 – Michelle Grimley and Audrey Jaros

• We’re participating in PHS garden contest. Judging is in July. Need volunteers.

• We’re participating in Community Gardens Day, June 18. Need volunteers.

• We have two volunteers –Brian & Barbara– working on revisions and updates to our website. Brian will also use social media outlets to post things happening in the garden.

 

2. Water Report – Thom.

• Since water was turned on, we’ve used 523 gallons of water. This is about the same amount as last year at this time.

• Water crisis we had last month was resolved without any explanation from water department.

• No further word from water department re storm water dispute.

 

3. Volunteers needed to maintain structures – Mark.

Mark reminded us that if we want structures in the garden (e.g., gazebo), we must be willing to do the maintenance they require. Please volunteer when work needs to be done.

Our structures were recently power-washed in preparation of staining to be done during clean up, May 14. Thom and Ed have seen to it that power-washing was accomplished and supplies purchased for the staining.

We’ll need volunteers to replace a third of the plants on the green roof because they died over the winter.

 

4. Arbor – Mark.

We’re replacing the arbor this year. The wood is old and rotting. To do the work, grape vines will have to be cut back.

Gardeners asked questions and gave suggestions regarding grape vines and flowering vines to cover the new arbor so that we can continue to have shade. We agreed we’d like a leafy cover of some kind until grape vines grow back, but we don’t want plants that attract bees.

We also discussed protection of plants growing in area of arbor construction. Gwyn will be consulted about this.

NGT will pay for new arbor, but we’re responsible for getting bids. Mark is working on getting bids. Work is likely to be done after July 1, but before fall.

 

5. Sidewalk repairs – Shanna.

NGT will pay for the sidewalk repairs. Work will be done this year.

 

6. Treasurer’s Report for period 4/12 to 5/10 – Ed.

This past month our income was from membership dues, and our payments were for the following: irrigation turn on, backflow preventers, structure power-washing, structure stain, & supplies.

Upcoming expenses: green roof plants and honey house trim lumber.

Our rainy day fund is secure, and our bank balance is about $700 more than it was last year at this time.

Carolyn asked if the theater group made a donation to garden. John V said Yes, they will send money to NGT and we will receive money from NGT. He wasn’t sure of the amount, but he will let us know.

 

7. Annual BBQ – Shanna.

Shanna asked what date we want the BBQ. We agreed to have it Sat., Sept. 17. Rain date – next day. Shanna and Brian have a system for running the BBQ and will work together again. Nevertheless, there are many tasks for which volunteers are needed, e.g., ticket sales.

Brian has been able to get a number of donations for the BBQ. This has turned the recent BBQs from break-even events into fundraisers.

 

9. Plot Inspections – Mark.

Reminder: First plot inspection of the season May 14. (See Rules & Regulations, Section IX.)

 

8. Other

If anyone has advice about starting a new community garden, please talk to Nadine at plot 33.

 

 

Meeting adjourned at 7:45 PM.

 

Minutes by Isabelle Buonocore, Recording Secretary

 

 

2016 Rules & Regulations

Monday, April 18th, 2016

SOUTHWARK/QUEEN VILLAGE COMMUNITY GARDEN
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Effective Date: October 1, 2015

I. Definitions. The defined terms below appear alphabetically.

A. Co-Gardener. A Plot may consist of two (2) Co-Gardeners. Co-Gardeners are also considered Garden Members. Only one Co-Gardener may participate in a vote. Plots may succeed to a Co-Gardener in certain circumstances. Effective October 1, 2015, no one may be designated “Co-Gardener.” The status of current Co-Gardeners will not be effected by this change.
B. Emeritus Gardener. Emeritus Gardeners are former Members who can no longer properly care for their Plot because of time limitations, lack of interest, or physical issues. Gardeners may apply for Emeritus status, which will be granted at the discretion of the Garden Council. Former Members granted Emeritus status may keep their keys but do not have voting rights.
C. Executive Committee. The Executive Committee consists of the following Officers: Chair(s), Vice-Chair, Treasurer, Corresponding Secretary and Recording Secretary.
D. Garden Council. The Garden Council consists of the Executive Committee, Row Captains, and the immediate past Chair.
E. Garden Member. A Garden Member shall be defined as any individual or Co-Gardener assigned to a Plot. Effective October 1, 2015, all new Garden Members must selected from the Waiting List. Helpers are not Garden Members.
F. Helper. Garden Members may use the assistance of Helpers to maintain their assigned Plots. Helpers must execute the Garden By-Laws, Rules and Regulations and the Neighborhood Garden Trust (“NGT”) Agreement. Helpers do not have voting rights and may not inherit a Plot through succession. Helpers may only be awarded a Plot through the Waiting List as Plots become available. Helpers may not attend Meetings or Clean-ups in the place of Garden Members without prior approval from the Garden Council. Garden Council may revoke Helper status at its discretion.
G. Inspection Committee. The Inspection Committee consists of at least three (3) members of the Garden Council, including at least one (1) current Officer of the Executive Committee.
H. Officers. Chair(s), Vice-Chair, Treasurer, Corresponding Secretary and Recording Secretary.
I. Plot. The parameters of each Plot shall be defined by the Garden Council and be clearly identified on the Plot Map. Each Plot will be issued two (2) keys. Each Plot is entitled to one vote.
J. Plot Map. The Plot Map shall be maintained by the Garden Chair(s). The Plot Map shall be updated on an annual basis to reflect current Plot assignments.
K. Row Captains. Row Captains are appointed by the Executive Committee to serve a term of two (2) years. The duties and obligations of a Row Captain are set forth in the Garden By-laws.
L. Waiting List. The Waiting List is maintained by the Executive Committee. Any individual chosen to become a Garden Member must be chosen in accordance with his or her position on the Waiting List.
M. Warning. A Warning is a notice to a Gardener that he or she is in violation of a Garden rule or regulation. All formal Warnings must be in writing and signed by the Chair. Warnings can be delivered in person, by regular mail, or by email if the Garden Member uses email. If a Warning is not remedied or corrected, a Gardener’s Membership may be terminated.

II. Membership Eligibility

A. Effective October 1, 2015, Garden Members must be Queen Village Residents: Delaware River to 6th Street; south side Lombard St. to the north side Washington Avenue.
B. Garden Membership is available on a first-come, first-served basis. New applicants are accepted according to Plot availability and position on the Waiting List.
C. The Executive Committee maintains the Waiting List of applicants for membership.
D. Order on the Waiting List is determined by date of application.

III. Minimum Membership Requirements

A. In addition to the Membership Eligibility rules described in these Garden Rules and Regulations, all Garden Members are required to:
1. Annually, receive, acknowledge by signature and follow these Garden Rules and Regulations and Garden By-laws.
2. Review and acknowledge by signature and follow the Neighborhood Garden Trust (“NGT”) Agreement, upon joining the garden or when otherwise required by NGT.
3. Attend at least five (5) Meetings and five (5) Clean-ups (or complete equivalent task time in separate months) per year. Credit is earned at Clean-ups or Meetings per Plot, not per Gardener in attendance.
4. Register for and perform two (2) weeks of watering duty per year, with at least one week during “warm” weather.
5. Pay annual Membership Fees, described more fully below in Section VI.
6. As part of the Garden, Garden Members are strongly encouraged to participate in Garden activities and preparation for special events, such as: the PHS City Garden Contest, fundraisers, festivals, holiday party, special projects, and Fall BBQ.

IV. Garden Membership Termination

A. If a Garden Member or Co-Gardener decides to leave the Garden and forfeit his or her Plot, notice shall be given to Garden Council within four (4) weeks, or as soon as reasonably possible, after the Garden Member knows he/she will be leaving the Garden.
1. Garden Members who voluntarily terminate Garden Membership may apply for Emeritus Gardener status. Applications for Emeritus Gardener Status will be granted at the discretion of the Garden Council.
B. Any Garden Member who does not satisfy the Minimum Membership Requirements or receives two (2) Warnings in a season may result in Membership Termination. Membership Termination under this provision requires a majority vote of the Garden Council.
C. Garden Membership may be terminated, at the discretion of the Garden Council, if the Garden Member or Co-Gardener fails to initiate the clearing and planting of an assigned Plot by May 1.
D. Garden Membership may be terminated for any other reason at the discretion of the Garden Council. Termination under this provision requires a majority vote of the Garden Council.

V. Plot Succession

A. In a shared Plot, if one Co-Gardener terminates membership with the Garden, the remaining Co-Gardener may, upon approval of the Garden Council, continue as the sole Garden Member for the Plot. If this situation arises the Co-Gardeners must notify the Garden Council as soon as possible.
B. Once a Co-Gardener becomes the sole Garden Member of a Plot, that Garden Member may not add a new Co-Gardener.
C. Helpers may not inherit a Plot unless she or he is in the next position on the Waiting List.
D. Current Garden Members have first preference to apply for a vacant Plot.
E. Only the Executive Committee may assign or transfer Plots, and should do so based on the expected commitment of the applicants to the goals of the Garden and ability to meet ongoing membership requirements.

VI. Membership Fees and Expenses

A. The purpose of Membership Fees is to pay for the total annual “basic” expenses which include, but are not limited to, water and electric bills, irrigation system operation and maintenance, trash bags and mosquito control.
B. Membership Fees will be reviewed by the Executive Committee on an annual basis. Any adjustments to Membership Fees must be reported to Garden Membership prior to the March Garden meeting.
C. Each Plot is responsible for the payment of Membership Fees on an annual basis. The Membership Fees are to be paid at the March Garden Meeting or as soon afterwards as possible but no later than the April Garden Meeting or at another date arranged with the Executive Committee.
D. Membership Fees are not intended to be a barrier to Garden Membership, and Membership Fees may be reduced or waived for Garden Members based on need, at the discretion of the Garden Council.
E. A $2,000 “rainy day” fund will be kept in reserve for unexpected expenses.

VII. Meetings

A. Meetings are held on the second Monday of every month from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm, except the months of December, January and February. If the second Monday needs to be cancelled, the meeting will take place on the second Tuesday of the month.
B. Location of Meetings October through March will be at an indoor site. From April through September, Meetings will be held in the Garden unless the Chair(s) moves the meeting because of inclement weather.
C. A representative from each Plot, whether a Garden Member or Co-Gardener, must attend five (5) Meetings per season.
D. Garden Members that do not fulfill the meeting attendance requirement, will receive one (1) Warning.
1. Any Plot unable to attend at least five (5) Meetings must inform the Executive Committee.
E. The Executive Committee is to give notice of all Meetings and to provide an agenda at least two days before any Meeting, noting the matters on which a vote will be taken.

VIII. Clean-ups

A. Regular Garden Clean-ups are held the Saturday following a Garden Meeting. Rain dates for Clean-ups will be Sunday following a Garden Meeting.
B. Clean-ups require two hours of work, per Plot, in the common areas as directed by the Clean-up leader and excludes any time spent working on the Garden Member’s own Plot.
C. As an alternative to attending a scheduled monthly Clean-up, Garden Members may perform tasks independently using the task list posted in the Garden shed for a total of two hours per month. Garden Members are to record his/her completed tasks and time to be counted towards the regular Clean-up requirement on the sign-up sheet. Two hours of tasks equal one regular clean-up.
D. All Plots must have a representative present at a minimum of five (5) separate Clean-ups annually (or complete equivalent task time in separate months).
E. Any Plot unable to satisfy the Clean-up attendance policy (or complete equivalent task time) may receive one (1) Warning.
F. A Garden Member’s obligation to attend Clean-ups may be satisfied by a Garden Member or a Co-Gardener, but not a Helper unless approved by the Executive Committee in advance.

IX. Garden and Plot Maintenance

A. Each Plot must be cleared and planting initiated no later than May 1. A failure to clear and plant by May 1 may result in the termination of Garden Membership.
B. A Garden Member is responsible for mulching, weeding and clearing his/her Plot, including the surrounding paths and aisles. A Garden Member must chip the paths bordering the Plot.
1. Garden Members will be notified of any violation of this provision by Row Captains.
2. Any and all violations must be corrected within one (1) week of receipt of such notice.
3. Failure to timely comply without an adequate excuse, as determined in the discretion of the Executive Committee, will result in one (1) Warning.
C. Each Garden Member is responsible for maintaining the ‘health’ of the Plot by removing noxious or invasive plants, sickly plant material, rotting plant materials and/or pest infested plants.
1. Any Plot receiving notice from a Row Captain, the Inspection Committee or Garden Council of unhealthy conditions in the Plot must clear the unhealthy conditions within one (1) week of receiving the notice.
2. Failure to timely comply will result in one (1) Warning.
3. Plots with serious infestation may be cleared at the discretion of the Garden Council or Inspection Committee.
D. Use of non-organic or synthetic pesticides or herbicides is prohibited.
E. Any Garden Member unable to maintain a Plot due to circumstances beyond his/her control must inform the Executive Committee.
F. Gardening activity and plant growth must be restricted to the perimeters of a Garden Member’s Plot.
G. The Garden Council will determine if any of the common gardens produce, materials, or supplies may be donated or sold. All proceeds will be turned over to the Treasurer for benefit of the Garden only.
H. Harvesting of Common Areas: The Executive Committee will determine the harvest dates of all common area fruiting plants and will notify the membership of harvesting day(s). Each Garden Member, Co-Gardener and/or Helper may pick only enough fruit for a SAMPLING.

X. Grievance Procedure

A. Grievances should be brought to the attention of the appropriate Row Captain.
B. The Row Captain will attempt to resolve grievances and will convey unresolved grievances to the Executive Committee for resolution.

XI. Garden Conduct and Etiquette

A. Removal or harvesting of any beneficial creatures (e.g., worms) from the Garden is prohibited.
B. No one may climb trees except at the direction of the Executive Committee.
C. Garden Members and/or Helpers may not intentionally damage Plots of other Garden Members.
D. Garden Members and/or Helpers may not prune, harvest, pull out weeds or plants or tend to other Garden Member’s Plot unless specifically invited. Failure to comply with this provision may result in the termination of the Garden Membership of the responsible Garden Member.
E. All Garden Members, Co-Gardeners, Helpers and guests are expected to obey all NGT and Garden Rules and Regulations.
F. Pets brought into the Garden must be restrained on a leash and kept out of Plots. The person responsible for the pet must clean up after the pet.
G. A Garden Member who desires to have a private party on Garden premises must seek approval from Garden Council.
H. Illegal activities within the Garden, by a Garden Member, Helper or any guests of a Garden Member or Helper, will result in the responsible Garden Member’s Garden Membership termination.
I. Violation of any of the Garden Rules and Regulations may result in one (1) Warning.

Acknowledgment

I have read the Rules and Regulations governing Southwark Queen Village Community Garden. I will abide by the Garden By-laws, Rules and Regulations and NGT Agreement. I understand failure to do so may lead to termination of my membership. I further understand that if I give up my membership or my membership is terminated, I must return my key within seven (7) days of membership termination.

Signature: _________________________________________________________
(Please print clearly)

Name:_____________________________________________ Date:__________

Plot No.:____________

Address :__________________________________________________________

Telephone: ( )________ – ______________

Email: ____________________________________________________________
□ I do not use email. Please have my Row Captain contact me when necessary.

2016 Garden By-Laws

Monday, April 18th, 2016

 
SOUTHWARK/QUEEN VILLAGE COMMUNITY GARDEN BY-LAWS
I. Name and Purpose

A. Name and Address. The organization described here is officially named ” Southwark / Queen Village Community Garden (‘Garden’).” The Garden is located at 311-333 Christian Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147. The mailing address of the Garden is:

Southwark / Queen Village Community Garden
c/o Queen Village Neighbors Association
P.O. Box 63763, Philadelphia, PA 19147

B. Purpose. The Garden, created in 1976, is a space for public gardening, creating and connecting communities and nurturing bio-diversity. The Garden is managed as a gardening park by the Neighborhood Gardens Trust (“NGT”)/ A Philadelphia Land Trust and by the Gardeners. The Garden’s secondary purpose is to be of benefit to the community.
II. Election of Executive Committee

A. The Executive Committee shall consist of the following Officers: Chair(s), Vice-Chair, Treasurer, Corresponding Secretary and Recording Secretary.
B. Officers are elected to a two-year term at the March meeting. Officers are limited to two consecutive terms on the Executive Committee.
C. In the event an Officer is unwilling or unable to complete a two-year term, the Executive Committee may appoint a replacement to fill unexpired term.
A. The Executive Committee shall implement and maintain the Garden Rules and Regulations.
III. Row Captains

A. One or two Gardeners per row will be appointed by the Executive Committee to serve as Row Captain(s) for a term of two years.
B. Row Captains are required to coordinate and lead one Clean-up per term.
C. Row Captain duties include:
1. Notifying Gardeners in his/her row of all meetings, clean-ups, and other activities either by email or by phone, as indicated by the Gardener.
2. Notifying each Gardener on his/her row of any failure to:
a. Keep his/her plot free of weeds and debris; or
b. Keep paths clear and weed free.
3. Handling grievances of Gardeners in his/her row as set out in the Grievance Procedure contained in the Garden Rules and Regulations.
4. Providing row and plot updates to the Executive Committee on a regular basis or as requested.
IV. Garden Council

A. The Garden Council shall consist of the Executive Committee, Row Captains, and the immediate past Chair.

V. Garden Rules and Regulations
A. The Garden Rules and Regulations shall be established, implemented and maintained by the Executive Committee.
B. Rules governing Garden Membership shall be set out in the Garden Rules and Regulations.
C. The Garden Rules and Regulations may be amended from time to time and shall be reviewed annually for accuracy and suitability.
D. The Garden Rules and Regulations shall be read and construed in conjunction with the By-laws.
VI. Sub-Committees
A. By-laws Committee
1. The Garden Council will appoint a By-laws Committee to consider proposed changes to the By-laws as needed.
2. The By-laws Committee will present its recommendations on the By-laws to the Garden Council and Members for review and comment.
3. Only Garden Members can approve changes to the By-laws.
B. Inspection Committee
1. The Inspection Committee consists of at least three members of the Garden Council, including at least one current Officer of the Executive Committee.
2. The Inspection Committee will conduct inspections during the months of May through October to ensure that all plots and aisles are clean, healthy, and free of weeds, infestation, and hazards. Additional inspections may be conducted at the Garden Council’s discretion.
3. The Inspection Committee will notify the appropriate Row Captains of plots or aisle areas that violate the Garden’s Rules and Regulations.
C. The Executive Committee shall have the authority to convene sub-committees as necessary.

VII. Meetings
A. Meetings shall be held once a month, at a time and location to be set by the Executive Committee and described in the Garden Rules and Regulations.
B. The Executive Committee is to give notice and provide an agenda, noting the matters on which a vote will be taken, at least two days before a Meeting.
C. Garden Members must satisfy Meeting attendance requirements in the Rules and Regulations.
VIII. Funding and Expenses

A. Membership fees will be set by the Executive Committee and may be changed from time-to-time depending on the financial needs of the Garden.
B. Each Plot must pay annual Membership Fees for use of the assigned Plot, on a date and time set by the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee has discretion to reduce the cost of the Membership Fee based on the need of a Member.
C. Membership Fees shall be used to pay for the total annual basic costs, which include, but are not limited to, utilities, irrigation system operation and maintenance, trash bags and mosquito control.
D. Each fall, the Membership Fees for the following year will be determined by taking the current year’s basic costs and dividing it by the number of voting Plots in the Garden. The Membership Fees will be reviewed and approved by the Executive Committee. Gardeners will be notified prior to the March meeting of the next season.
E. A “rainy day” fund, as described in the Garden Rules and Regulations, will be kept in reserve for unexpected costs.
F. All Garden expenses shall be pre-approved by the Executive Committee.
IX. Voting

A. Each Plot has one vote. If more than one (1) Co-Gardener of a Plot is present at a meeting, the voting Garden Member must be identified upon sign-in of the meeting.
B. Helpers do not have voting rights.
C. All other issues, with the exception of amendments to the By-laws, will be decided by a simple majority of the voting Garden Members present at the Meeting in which the vote takes place (Ex.: If 20 Voting Members are present a simple majority constitutes 11).

X. Amendments

A. A quorum of fifty percent (50%) of Voting Members must be present for any vote to amend the Garden By-laws to take place. A vote of two-thirds of the voting Garden Members present is required to amend the By-laws
B. A Notice of the proposed changes, along with a copy of the changes, shall be provided to Garden Members a minimum of two (2) weeks prior to the Meeting at which the vote shall be taken. The amendments shall be read to Garden Members before the close of the meeting.
C. No amendment of the By-laws shall become effective until two weeks after ratification by the Garden Council and communication to all Garden Members.

 

April 11, 2016 Minutes

Monday, April 18th, 2016

Southwark/Queen Village Community Garden

Minutes

April 11, 2016

 

1.  Welcome.  At 7:00 pm, Shanna, the new Chair, opened the meeting and made a toast to the past Executive Committee, to the new Executive Committee, and to all the gardeners.

She reminded everyone to have their garden plots ready by May 1, to give signed by-laws to Isabelle, and to give salt hay money to Janice.

She announced that the 3rd Annual Community Garden Day is June 18 from 10:00AM to 1:00 PM.

 

2.  Mosquitos.  Mark, the new Vice Chair, reminded gardeners:

–Mosquitos breed in standing water, even the smallest amounts, so turn over your watering cans so rain doesn’t get in them.

–Tall plants are attractive to mosquitos.

–Salt hay is NOT a breeding place.

–Mosquitos are most active in early morning and early evening.

–Wear mosquito repellant (Karyl said a good natural repellent is Buzz Away which can be purchased at Essene)

–We will add dunks to the barrels collecting drain water from the honey house.

 

3.  Treasurer’s Report.  Ed, the new Treasurer, reported on income from the collection of member dues and receipt of a $40 donation; and payments for composting toilet materials, electric bill, and root mulch bill.  Nine plots have not yet paid their membership dues.

 

4.  Bees.

We voted to confirm the motion and decision made last month to move two hives to the area in front of the mural wall.  Carolyn has talked to the homeowner who expressed agreement that it was a good location for the hives.  Carolyn urged gardeners who are allergic to bee stings to carry an epi-pen for protection.  She explained that it would not be possible to store EpiPens in the shed because we cannot control temperature inside the shed.

April 24 is the date that new bees will go into the boxes.  Once the hives are in their new location, they cannot be moved.

 

5.  Bylaws/Rules & Regulations.

Shanna reminded everyone that the bylaws and rules & regulations have been sent to the gardeners, and that comments and technical edits have been addressed.  A definition of “Warning” was added to the definitions section, and the language regarding attendance to support garden activities was softened.

A gardener asked if these bylaws/R&Rs change the way clean-up hours were tracked in 2015.  The answer is No.  However language was added to clarify that clean-up, including independent clean-up, is 2 hours EACH MONTH and that a gardener cannot make up for multiple missed clean-ups in 1 month.

A gardener asked for clarification of the Queen Village residency requirement for membership.  The language will be clarified to state that the requirement will not affect current members.

A quorum was present, and we voted to accept the amendments to the By-Laws and the Rules & Regulations with the clarification that the residency requirement would not affect current members.

Shanna announced she will send out an email to determine status of current gardeners: Are you a gardener, co-gardener, or helper?

 

6.  Roses.  At the April clean-up, for gardeners who are interested, Linda will show them how to prune roses.

 

7.  Water, barrels, and green roof.

Thom reported we have a new water meter and the water pressure problem of last fall is gone.  Please email Thom if you notice any future water pressure problems.

Gardeners on water duty should check for leaning barrels.  If a barrel is leaning, don’t fill it.  When the water is eventually emptied, Thom will fix the barrel.  It can’t be fixed/moved while water is in it.

Half of the green roof has died.  This past winter was the first time plants on the green roof died.  Help is needed at April’s clean-up to remove weeds on the green roof.

8.  Shade gardens.

Lisa asked that gardeners interested in weeding or doing other work in the shade gardens (community areas in the garden) please call her.  Many of us who love to clean up may not be aware of the special needs of these areas.  For example, some clean-up is best left to later in the season because now the plant matter on the ground acts as insulation.  Please contact Lisa before doing anything so that time & labor isn’t wasted and that the shady gardens get the care they need at the right time.

 

9. Corresponding Secretary.

Shanna announced that Cynthia is our new Corresponding Secretary.

10.  Neighborhood Gardens Trust (NGT).

Shanna announced that NGT has money for us to replace the grape arbor.  We have our own lumber, but we’ll provide NGT with a list of other supplies needed to replace the arbor.

The meeting adjourned at 7:45 PM.

 

Minutes by Isabelle, Recording Secretary

 

Addendum:  The following Gardeners are Row Captains for 2016:

Row 1 (by front gate) – Irene

Row 2 – Janice

Row 3 – John

Row 4 – Pamela

Row 5 – Ted

Row 6 – Jeanne

Row 7 – Thom

11 April 2016 Agenda (7 pm in the garden)

Saturday, April 9th, 2016

Please come with by-law sheet signed (see attached).  This is REQUIRED for all people in the garden.  Currently only about 50% of gardeners & helpers have signed. 

Please review the attached proposed changes to the By-Laws and Rules/Regulations.  NOTE:  this is work started last year and still requiring a final vote.  

1. Welcome (Shanna – 2 min)

2. Treasurer’s Report (Ed – 5 Min)

4. Chairs’ Report

a.  3rd Annual Community Gardens Day June 18, 10a-1p (Shanna – 2 min)

b.  Mosquitos (Mark – 10 min)

(see http://www.placermosquito.org/education/vectors-and-diseases/mosquito-facts/)

6. Final discussion and vote on proposal to move Bee Hives – See last meeting (Carolyn -10 min)

Current options:

  1. Move hives out to where the patio benches are.  These are the benches that are tucked behind the picnic tables.
  2. Place the hives into an open plot, suggestion being the plot opened by Jarred and Kristy’s departure (back row. plot 63).  The hives would go towards the back of the plot, partially under solar panels.
  3. Move the hives to other location(s) in the garden (e.g., near/at berry batch along main path)
  4. Don’t move the hives this year and revisit issue in 2017

7.  By-laws/Rules and Regulations – Vote on changes

a.  Review of changes (Shanna – 5 min)
b.  Discussion and vote (Shanna – 10 min)

 

7. Election of New Officer (Shanna – 2 min)

Communication Sect:        Cyndi Line

 

8. Kind and Gentle Reminders:

a.  Pruning roses at clean up (Linda – 2 min)

b.  Water turn on (Thom – 2 mins)

c.  Pollination garden (Carolyn – 2 min)

d.  Shade garden and east gate garden (Lisa – 2 min)

 

6 March 2016 Officer’s Meeting

Friday, March 18th, 2016

Southwark/Queen Village Community Garden
Executive Committee Minutes
Sunday, March 6, 2016
Home of John Ventre

Present
John Ventre, Thom Hardenbergh, Suzanne Schecter, Janice Chorba, and
Isabelle Buonocore

March Garden Meeting
• Date/location: March 14 – Weccacoe Playground Building; 6:30 pm start.
• Email to gardeners: John will compose email notice and Janice will attach bylaws and signature sheet. NGT agreement signature needed from new gardeners only.
• Dues: Suzanne will collect dues at the meeting
• Water sign-ups: John will create lists for warm and cool months starting 4/11. Need 4 volunteers per week.
• Attendance sign-in: Isabelle will provide sign-in sheet
• Agenda: John will prepare.

Dues/Financials
Dues for 2016 will be kept at last year’s amount: $35. Suzanne provided financial info in 2/28/16 email to executive committee. We have about $9,000 in the bank. Of that, $2,000 is reserved for rainy day fund. Income in 2015 was $4,150; expenses $3,400. Suzanne has mailed the standard donations.

Possible expenses/projects for 2016
1) Sidewalk is in bad shape. Repairs will be expensive. John will take photos and send them to NGT as NGT has liability if anyone is injured. Janice learned at an NGT meeting that other gardens are also having sidewalk issues.
2) Arbor needs work. NGT offered to do the arbor work. We could do this ourselves. If we do the work, we won’t have expenses because we have all the material.
3) Power washing/staining of buildings/structures. Thom or his neighbor can do the power washing. Need to buy the stain.
4) Paths. Some paths, especially west entrance, are very high due to build up of wood chips, etc. We might be able to clear/lower the paths during clean-ups. No cost if we do the work. We should ask gardeners if there are high paths near their plots and if they are a problem and then address them.
5) Alternatives to chips for paths. John asked NGT for this in an NGT survey of garden needs, but there was no response.

Contractors
NGT asked for the name of contractors we’ve used. NGT is developing a reference list of contractors. We haven’t used any contractors.

Bylaws
The recommended revisions to bylaws could not be voted on in November 2015 because we did not have a quorum. We should hold the vote at the April meeting; the March meeting will be too busy.

Water Turn-On Date
April 4, 2016.

Warning Notices to Gardeners
Isabelle will email 11 warning notices to gardeners who did not meet bylaws requirements in 2015 to attend 5 meetings and 5 cleanups. The notice is a warning that if the requirements are not met in 2016 the gardener may be asked to leave the garden.

Available Garden Plot
Plot 63 in the back row is available. John will determine if any gardeners want to move to this plot. Isabelle will then call folks on the waiting list to offer a plot. There are currently 82 persons on the waiting list.

New Officers Slate for March Election
At this time the only candidates are Mark Raymond for Vice Chair and Isabelle Buonocore for Recording Secretary. John will work on getting a full slate for the March meeting. If there are any officer positions without a candidate by the March meeting, John will let the garden membership know what will not get done without that position filled; current officers will not carry over. Helper gardeners cannot be candidates for officer positions.

***end

14 March 2016 Minutes

Friday, March 18th, 2016

Southwark/Queen Village Community Garden
Minutes
March 14, 2016

1. From 6:30 to 7:00 pm, gardeners signed the attendance sheet, handed in their bylaws’ signature page, gave treasurer their dues of $35 per plot, and signed up for two watering weeks — 1 cool week & 1 warm week.

2. Welcome. At 7:00 pm, John welcomed everyone to the first meeting of the 2016 garden season. He said 2015 was a successful season and he thanked those who came out for the barbecue.

3. Treasurer’s Report. Suzanne reported that last year’s income and expenses were about the same. She will provide details and actual figures in an email to the gardeners.

4. Chair’s Report, Part I – Thom.

a. Water. Will be turned on April 4. April 11 is the first watering week, which means all barrels will be filled that week. Thom will check water pressure. He’ll also check water usage throughout the season. A new water meter was installed last fall.

b. Major project this spring: power wash & stain garden structures/buildings. Thom will ask Mike Chobert to do the power washing for free. Garden volunteers are needed to do the staining. The garden will supply the stain.

c. Thanks from Thom. He completed his term as Vice Chair and thanked everyone. He plans to continue working in the background.

5. Chair’s Report, Part II – John.

a. Renegade Theater Company performance in garden, May 8-9. John reminded us that we voted last fall to allow this theater group to have a performance in the garden. It will be for 2 evenings. Readings will be performed at different stations throughout the garden, and guests will be served cocktails and listen to the readings. Michael Durkin, the Creative Director is looking for garden volunteers to serve as liaisons to the theater group and to be available in garden plots during the performances. An objective of the play is for guests to see an active garden. Please contact John if you’re interested in volunteering.

b. Bylaws. We did not vote on the revisions to the bylaws in November because we did not have a quorum. We’ll vote on them in April.

c. Watering Duty. John Keisker is back as Watering Captain and reminded everyone to sign up for 2 weeks of watering duty. Everyone should be signed up so that he can post who is working what week before the water is turned on April 4. He’ll post information in the shed and on the website calendar. He’ll also email a reminder to the group volunteering each week, and he’ll assign a person to take the lead to coordinate watering for the week.

d. Clean-up. Our first monthly clean-up will be Saturday, March 19, at 9:00 am. The current and new officers will establish the task list.

e. Yvonne. Yvonne has been ill in the hospital. Garden volunteers from City Harvest will help care for her garden plot. Please contact Janice Chorba if you have further news of Yvonne.

f. Thanks from John. He completed his term as Chair. He thanked everyone and wished the best for the new officers.

6. Move Bee Hives. We lost 3 hives over the winter. Carolyn and Scott explained that we’ve had little success with hives for the last 3 years and the most promising solution is to move the hives to a location with full sun. Additional steps include buying a nuc and a northern queen.

A motion was made and carried to keep two hives near the honey house and to place two hives near the mural wall. Carolyn will contact the owner of the house with the mural wall. To date, Carolyn has purchased 2 packages ($105 each) and a nuc ($150). She hopes to purchase a northern queen for the garden.

Karyl advised gardeners to make sure plants we purchase for our plots are organic, that they don’t contain pesticides. Lisa mentioned that Greensgrow Farms/Nursery, in Kensington, sells plants that are pesticide free.

7. Election of Officers. We elected the following officers for 2-year terms:
Chair – Shanna Flanagan
Vice Chair – Mark Raymond
Treasurer – Ed Mitinger
Recording Secretary – Isabelle Buonocore

The position of Communication Secretary is still unfilled. Janice will help out while we seek to fill the position.

The new officers will find persons to fill the row captain positions.

The meeting adjourned at 7:50 PM.

Minutes by Isabelle Buonocore, Recording Secretary

14 March 2016 Agenda

Friday, March 18th, 2016

SWQV Community Garden Meeting Agenda. March 14, 2014 @ 6:30 pm

Please come with by-law sheet signed (see attached).  This will save time and move things along.

1. Pay Dues, Hand in By-law Signature page, Sign-up for water 6:30-7:00

2. Welcome to the 2016 Season (1 Min)

3. Treasurer’s Report (Suzanne – 4 Min)

4. Chairs’ Report Part 1 (Thom – 5 min)

- Water turn on

- Recap & Thank you

5. Chairs’ Report Part 2 (John – 5 min)

     – Renegade Company Play – May 8th and 9th
     – (Amendments to By-Laws)

- Recap & Thank you

6. Proposal to move of Bee Hives – See earlier email below (John and Carolyn -15 mins)

Current options:

  1. Move hives out to where the patio benches are.  These are the benches that are tucked behind the picnic tables.
  2. Place the hives into an open plot, suggestion being the plot opened by Jarred and Kristy’s departure (back row. plot 63).  The hives would go towards the back of the plot, partially under solar panels.
  3. Move the hives to other location(s) in the garden (e.g., near/at berry batch along main path)
  4. Don’t move the hives this year and revisit issue in 2017.

7. Election of New Officers (John – 10 mins)

Chair:                               Shanna Flanagan

Vice Chair:                        Mark Raymond

Treasurer:                         Ed Mitinger

Recording Sect:                 Isabelle Buonocore

Communication Sect:         OPEN

8. New Officers introduce themselves and close out meeting (15 mins)

 

Previous Bee Moving Email:

Gardeners –

It appears that they have lost two hives and most likely will lose at least one more (out of four).  That is about the same loss as last winter which was very cold, compared to this year.  While it was a tough year for bees throughout PA (around 50% loss rate) this has been the third tough year for our hives.  The bee keepers think that the location of the hives does not get enough sun.  They have a few suggestions:

 

  1. Move hives out to where the patio benches are.  These are the benches that are tucked behind the picnic tables.
  2. Place the hives into an open plot, suggestion being the plot opened by Jarred and Kristy’s departure (back row. plot 63).  The hives would go towards the back of the plot, partially under solar panels.
  3. Move the plots to other location(s) in the garden
  4. Don’t move the hives this year and revisit issue in 2017.

The cost of not moving the hives is if current location is the issue we can expect a spotty hive success into the future.  This would mean a cost of restarting hives on semi-regular basis that could run as high as $300 a year and we would not reap any sales as we wait to see if the new hives survive for a full year.

Of course, the cost of the moving them would be an inconvenience to some or all gardeners.  If moved, we would like to do so that minimized the inconvenience to gardeners.

It is important to understand, these are not final options, nor decisions.  Other options have already surfaced since I started this email.  We have a little time and we could convene a group to develop a list of options agreeable to key stake holders, including the bee keepers, to be presented for vote in April (new hives would need to be started before May, so location(s) need to be established).

Anyone who wishes to discuss either prior to the meeting or after can call Carolyn (267-254-9627) or myself (215-850-0605).  This will be on the agenda to discuss on Monday and while I would like to take a vote on an action, it appears likely that it will be postponed until April’s meeting.

–  Southwark Queen Village Community Garden